Sunday, February 12, 2012

This is my story.

I am a survivor.

My battle with bulimia started when I was 18.  My obsession with my body started when I was 13.  My acceptance of my body started at 28.  It was a long road, but it was mine to walk.  I tripped over my own 2 feet and probably broke a toe or two along the way, but such is the path of life.  I'm grateful for my journey and even more grateful for the outcome.  I mean, hell, if nothing else I have a cool blog!!

But enough with the melodrama, that's not what this is about.

The point of this blog is to debunk fitness/nutrition/life myths that stupid magazines like Cosmo and Shape try to shove down our throats.  To figure out what your own personal ideal is and how to achieve it.  To stop looking at The Real Housewives as normal or what you should strive to be.  I want to help you be happy with being YOU.  Your rules, your terms, your life.

Throughout my treatment and even in my day to day life people often ask, "How do *you* do it?!"   How do I get myself out of bed and to spin class at 7am three mornings a week?  How did I turn the corner into true recovery?  But that's not the question they should be asking.

Instead, ask yourself, "How can *I* do it?"  How do I create a life that is full of happiness, satisfaction, and experiences?  (oh and good sex.  Lots of good sex.)  What works for you might not work for me, but that's what keeps the discussion interesting!

Women's magazines, chick lit, and even many self help books like to take a one size fits all approach to life.  I don't.  My life is like a Spotify list by a schizophrenic.  It's big, it's full of variety, and it rocks out when it wants to.  I may look at the "playlists" of my friends and see something that works for me, or something that doesn't.  I don't judge them, I just let them take that path on their own, just as I stick with what's working for me.  And I learn as I go.  I celebrate my successes and learn from my failures.  I respect the journey.

So, whether you go to the gym 5 days a week or you've never had a gym membership, you're welcome here.  Whether you want to build a defined 6 pack or just lose the leftover baby weight, I challenge you to do it.  Acceptance and achievement starts and ends with you.

Now, enough with the touchy feely bullshit, we've got some living to do!
Yup.  After an 8 mile hike, I refuel with Cheez Itz.  Works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment